Friday, November 2, 2012
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH - The final phase of storm related debris removal in St. John Parish is currently underway. Residents in need of storm debris removal are advised to call the DRC hotline at 504-256-1067, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Debris related to new construction is not eligible for collection under the DRC contract. Contractors are responsible for the removal of new construction debris.
Although many homes have been cleaned and gutted, others remain vacant. Residents are encouraged to make every effort to clean out and gut their homes as quickly as possible. Residents are discouraged from placing debris near water meters, fire hydrants, utility lines, etc. Residents should rake small particles of trash remaining once debris trucks pass and place it in small piles near the curb.
DEBRIS REMOVAL REMINDERS:
• Debris must be separated into vegetative (organic, trees, shrubs, stumps, etc), construction & demolition (any treated wood or lumber drywall, roofing materials), white goods (refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers), and household hazardous waste & e-waste (computers, televisions, etc).
• Do not place debris near mail boxes, utility boxes, utility poles, water meters or fire hydrants.
• Do not place piles next to fences or cars.
• Do not place material for pick-up under low wires or overhanging tree limbs. Debris loaders cannot maneuver the collection arm safely under low-hanging objects
• Consider placing debris piles on an old sheet of plywood or other similar material to minimize damage to lawns by the debris loader
• New construction debris is not eligible for pick-up.
Any resident needing volunteer assistance should call the Home Repair Hotline at 985-359-0254. Volunteers are available to assist residents in cleaning and gutting homes.