Wednesday, October 17, 2012
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH –The final phase of storm related debris removal in St. John Parish is currently underway. Beginning Monday, October 22nd, debris collection will be by request through DRC’s hotline at 504-256-1067, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Residents are asked to make every effort to clean out and gut their property in the next week; however, if debris remains, residents can call the hotline to request pick-up.
Those cleaning out their property are discouraged from placing debris near water meters, fire hydrants, utility lines, etc. to ensure collection runs smoothly. In an effort to collect debris in a timely fashion, residents are encouraged to place debris curbside. If any trash remains dispersed throughout the property residents should rake the debris into small piles near the curb for pick-up.
DEBRIS REMOVAL REMINDERS:
• Debris must be separated into vegetative (organic, trees, shrubs, stumps, etc), construction & demolition (any treated wood or lumber drywall, roofing materials), white goods (refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers), and household hazardous waste & e-waste (computers, televisions, etc).
• Do not place debris near mail boxes, utility boxes, utility poles, water meters or fire hydrants.
• Do not place piles next to fences or cars.
• Do not place material for pick-up under low wires or overhanging tree limbs. Debris loaders cannot maneuver the collection arm safely under low-hanging objects
• Consider placing debris piles on an old sheet of plywood or other similar material to minimize damage to lawns by the debris loader
• New construction debris is not eligible for pick-up. Contractors are responsible for removal of new construction debris.
For more information about St. John the Baptist Parish visit sjbparish.com, like us on Facebook or follow us on twitter @SJBPgov