St. John The Baptist Parish News Release

FACT SHEET: Transitional Sheltering Assistance

FACT SHEET: Transitional Sheltering Assistance


Fact Sheet

Frequently Asked Questions about Transitional Sheltering Assistance Extension

At the request of the State of Louisiana, FEMA extended the Transitional Sheltering Assistance (TSA) program through Oct. 28, 2012 (check out Oct. 29). This is the third two-week extension of the program that began on Sept. 3.

Who is eligible for Transitional Sheltering Assistance (TSA)?

TSA is open to eligible applicants whose damaged dwellings are in St. John Parish or in designated ZIP codes in 17 additional parishes: Ascension, East Baton Rouge, Iberville, Jefferson, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. Helena, St. James, St. Mary, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne or Washington.

Their homes must be unlivable due to Hurricane Isaac damage. FEMA must be able to verify the applicant’s identity. Both homeowners and renters can be considered for the program, which is jointly administered by the state and FEMA.

Hotel/motel guests will not be extended for TSA if their home is found to be accessible, safe, sanitary and functional, and has working utilities.

How will I know if I am eligible for the extension?

An automated phone message is notifying applicants who are eligible for an additional period of time. Those who do not receive the message should refer to the “Terms and Conditions” form they signed upon check in, which specifies the length of their stay.

If I no longer qualify for TSA but still need assistance, what should I do?

Guests leaving the TSA program who would like to connect with resources in their community are encouraged to call the state’s 2-1-1 resource helpline. We are working with state and parish officials as well as voluntary agencies to help survivors get their needs met.

Which costs are covered by the TSA program?

For survivors whose neighborhoods are not accessible or whose houses are destroyed or lack power, the program may pay for a hotel or motel stay for a limited time. FEMA will cover the cost of the room and taxes in payments made directly to the hotel.

How do I take advantage of the TSA program?

Survivors must first register with FEMA, and if they meet the criteria for TSA, they are notified with an automated phone call.   

How do I find a hotel?

A list of participating hotels is available at Individuals who cannot access the Internet can also get information from the FEMA HelpLine at 1-800-621-3362.

Do the hotels allow pets?

Some of the participating hotels and motels allow pets; this is indicated on the list found on the website. Some hotels limit the size and number of pets, and/or may charge a pet fee.                                                                                                    

Are meals, telephone calls or other incidental charges included?

Applicants are responsible for their own meals, phone and other charges, and for any lodging costs above the authorized allowance. The TSA program does not reimburse for previously incurred hotel expenses.

How do I register for assistance?

Affected residents can register online at www.DisasterAssistance.govor by web-enabled mobile device at Individuals who do not have access to the Internet may call 1-800-621-3362 or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. Users of 711 Relay or Video Relay Services should call 1-800-621-3362.