Thursday, September 6, 2012 – 6:00 p.m.
Progressive Waste, the St. John the Baptist Parish garbage company, has called in additional trucks to help service areas. Garbage pick-up is currently one day behind but is expected to be on normal schedule by Monday, September 6. White goods will be picked up by request by calling 985-212-2147.
DRC, the debris removal company, is now hauling construction and demolition, and vegetative debris (everything except white goods and hazardous waste). Please be reminded debris must be separated into piles listed below and documented before throwing away. Place debris near the curb; not in the street. Debris must be separated into vegetative (organic, trees, shrubs, stumps, etc), construction & demolition debris (any treated wood or lumber drywall, roofing materials), white goods (refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers), household hazardous waste, and e-waste (computers, televisions, etc).
When separating debris please remember the following:
• Pile debris as neatly as possible near the curb, but not in the street. Try to keep the height of the pile under three feet.
• Do not place debris near mail boxes, utility boxes, utility poles, water meters or fire hydrants. Inadvertent damage can occur if those items are covered
• Do not place piles next to fences or cars. For safety assurance, no attempt is made to collect debris piled next to mailboxes, fences or cars. A 10-foot separation distance is recommended
• Do not place material for pick-up under low wires or overhanging tree limbs. Debris loaders cannot maneuver the collection arm safely under low-hanging objects
• Consider placing debris piles on an old sheet of plywood or other similar material to minimize damage by the debris loader to your yard
Applications for truck vendors to haul debris are currently being accepted by DRC. The application and insurance requirements are available at sjbparish.com.