Sunday, December 31, 2017
St. John the Baptist Parish - The National Weather Service has upgraded the Freeze Watch to a Freeze Warning from midnight tonight to 11 am Monday for our area. A Freeze Watch is also in effect from Monday evening through Tuesday morning.
Temperatures are expected to range from 26 to 32 degrees for 6 to 8 hours or longer after midnight on Sunday. This period of extended freezing temperatures could cause significant damage to sensitive vegetation , pets and pipes if proper precautions are not taken.
Reminder, safety tips:
* Pets and plants should be brought inside
* Other animals or livestock should be sheltered in areas with non-frozen drinking water
* Protect plants by covering
* Insulate outdoor faucets with faucet covers, rags, paper or trash bags, or plastic foam
* Plug electric space heaters directly into wall sockets - do not use extension cords
* Space heaters should be turned off when not in the room
* Maintain proper ventilation for all fuel-burning devices
* Keep safety items readily available: flashlight and batteries, battery-powered radio, extra food and water, baby items, first-aid supplies, fire extinguisher, pet food
* Maintain contact with the elderly and those considered at risk
* Dress warmly and keep exposed skin covered if outdoors
Please dial 911 to report any issues. Please also visit the homepage of the Parish website at sjbparish.com and click on "Stay Connected" to sign up for Parish emergency alerts.