Thursday, December 07, 2017
St. John the Baptist Parish - Parish officials are currently monitoring the possibility of winter weather to impact the Parish beginning tonight. According to the National Weather Service, a small accumulation of snow/sleet or freezing rain is expected to move in overnight and remain through mid-day tomorrow in addition to near-freezing temperatures. Forecasters are predicting the precipitation to end Friday however temperatures are expected to remain in the 30s and 40s throughout the weekend.
Residents should make preparations at home and businesses for possible wintery conditions including bringing in pets and plants and winterizing pipes. Accumulations of precipitation could lead to possible slick spots on elevated roadways and bridges and motorists should use extreme caution when driving.
Crews will be on standby throughout the weekend if needed. Please 911 to report any issues or concerns. To sign up for Parish emergency notifications, visit sjbparish.com and click “Stay Connected.”
All public, private and parochial schools will be closed Friday, December 8, 2017 in anticipation of possible winter weather conditions during morning travel time.
Open as normal Friday, December 8, 2017.
• Make sure there is proper ventilation for all fuel-burning equipment
• Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
• Maintain contact with the elderly and those considered at risk
• Get a winter game plan! Have a fully- stocked emergency kit
• Pets and plants should be brought inside your home. Move other animals or livestock to sheltered areas with non-frozen drinking water
• Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.