Sunday, August 21, 2016 – 1:00 p.m.
St. John the Baptist Parish – St. John the Baptist Parish is under a non-life threatening Flood Advisory until Monday at 3 pm as backwater slowly drains from the area. Emergency Operations staff continue to actively monitor water levels and anticipated heavy rainfall predicted for next week. Residents should remain vigilant in monitoring weather, news and communication outlets for changes.
Sandbags: (Open until 6 pm– Limit 25 prefilled, Unlimited fill yourself)
Due to the expected increase in mosquito populations in the coming weeks, we ask that youplease take the following precautions in order to protect yourself and your family:
• Monitor and drain anything that might collect water, including potted plants, barbeque
grills, gutters, boats, and toys such as tire swings and Frisbees.
• Keep lawns mowed to reduce adult mosquito resting sites.
• Fill in any low spots in your yard that might collect water.
• Flush bird baths at least once a week.
• Replace water in pet bowls often.
• Remove vegetation and debris from drainage ditches.
• Keep pools clean and in operating condition.
• Clean ponds and stock with minnows
• Repair torn window screens.
• Turn boats upside down.
• Use insect repellent and cover up at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes are most active.
• Wear long sleeves and pants.
• Use an EPA-registered insect repellent, and always follow the label instructions.
Emergency Alerts/Information Outlets