- 585 properties have recorded damage - commercial and residential
- 4,779 cubic yards of vegetative debris and 364 yards of construction & demolition debris were collected in past week
- Per Entergy, power is 100% fully restored to all customers who could receive power
- Entergy personnel continue to reconnect customers as electrical repairs are being made at their homes or facilities. For homes that will be demolished, customers should contact Entergy at 1-800Entergy to have Entergy equipment removed (e.g. meters, transformers, etc.)
- All schools and Parish Offices are open.
DEBRIS REMOVAL REMINDERS:
- Debris is getting picked up throughout the Parish. To make easier for pickup, residents are encouraged to separate debris into piles:
- Debris must be separated into vegetative (organic, trees, shrubs, stumps, etc), construction & demolition (any treated wood or lumber drywall, roofing materials), white goods (refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers), and household hazardous waste & e-waste (computers, televisions, etc).
- Do not place debris fence, cars, mail boxes, utility boxes, utility poles, water meters or fire hydrants.
- Progressive Waste is running routes with a slight delay. Residents who need replacement cans should call Progressive at 536-3046.
- Current SNAP households who were impacted by Tuesday’s storms may be eligible to receive replacement SNAP benefits.
- SNAP households that were without power for more than 24 hours and lost food as a result, should visit their local DCFS Economic Stability office located at 429 W. Airline Hwy in LaPlace to complete an affidavit. The last day to complete this form is March 4, 2016. Contact phone # is 985-651-2984.
- Residents affected by tornado damage who would like their water service disconnected either temporarily or permanently at no charge can do so by calling 985-652-3131.
- You can request that either your deposit gets put on hold or a permanent disconnect at no charge.
If your property is within the Damage Area you WILL need a permit for:
* May need a permit depending on scope of work
- Groups or individuals over the age of 18 who are interested in volunteering with debris removal for the tornado victims can call the volunteer hotline at 1.256.503.1024 or register online at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volunteer efforts are being coordinated through REGALA Gymnasium by a familiar group, 8 Days of Hope, who came to our Parish after Hurricane ISAAC to assist with rebuilding efforts. Hope Reigns is a division of 8 Days of Hope specializing in Rapid Response after a disaster and will be throughout the Parish for the next week volunteering. All volunteers registered through Hope Reigns (8 Days of Hope) will be wearing orange vests that read “Hope Reigns.”
HOTLINE FOR RESIDENTS WHO NEED ASSISTANCE FOLLOWING TORNADO:
Wednesday, March 2, 2016
- 11 am - 2 pm
- St. John Community Center, 2900 Hwy 51, LaPlace
- Food, Non-Perishables, Water
- Meals from Second Harvesters and West St. John Civic Association
Saturday, March 5, 2016
- 12 noon
- LaPlace Urgent Care Parking Lot -
- - Various meals from participating restaurants
Sunday, March 6, 2016
- 11 am
- Corner of Palmetto and Indigo Parkway
- Marching Pride of Riverside along with Raising Canes and New Orleans Hamburger and Seafood will distribute hot meals
Wednesday, March 9, 2016
- 7-8 p.m.
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints , 15 Palmetto Dr., LaPlace
- Walkthrough/Giveaway for tornado victims
- Household items, clothing, school supplies, and other goods can be donated and dropped off at the church building on Wednesday March 2nd from 6-8 p.m., and on Sunday March 6th from 12-1 p.m.
Red Cross and other agencies/groups will also be mobile feeding in damaged areas.
SUPPLIES DROP OFF CENTER: (M-F, 8:00am-4:30pm)
- St. John Community Center , 2900 Hwy 51, LaPlace
- Cleaning supplies/batteries/flashlights/rakes and yard equipment encouraged
- Blessed to be a Blessing International Ministries is collecting school supplies, backpacks and school uniforms for students affected by the tornadoes. Anyone wishing to donate these items can send them to:
- Blessed to be a Blessing International Ministries, Inc.
2015 W. Airline Hwy.
Laplace, LA 70068
- Donations may be dropped off between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at (985)359-9954.
CLOTHING DROP OFF CENTER: (Monday-Saturday, 9:00 am-2pm)
- Evangelist Donna M. Perrilloux
- 130 W. 7th Street, Reserve LA 70084
- Accepting non- perishable items, cleaning supplies, clothing ( all sizes and genders), shoes, baby items, bedding, kitchen, toys, school supplies, coats and whatever else people wish to donate. Monetary donations are also welcomed.
Business Response Survey
- If your business sustained either a Physical or Economic Loss due to the tornado that occurred on Tuesday, February 23, we are requesting that you complete the Emergency Response Survey. This information will assist St. John Parish, state and federal officials in making a determination for additional resources to aid in your full recovery. You may receive a phone call or visit from a representative requesting that you to provide a response. The survey takes about 2 minutes to complete by phone or in person. You may also complete the survey online at http://sjbparish.com/tornado.php
The Business Emergency Resource Center (BEOC)
- The St. John the Baptist Parish Business Resource Center will provide a “one-stop shop” for impacted businesses, employees, and homeowners to receive in-person recovery assistance. A dedicated team of resource providers including, Louisiana Small Business Development Center (LSBDC), South Central Planning and Development Commission (SCPDC), US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Louisiana Workforce Commission, and Louisiana Federal Credit Union will assist in obtaining business continuity planning, business loans, unemployment insurance, home retention services, and personal emergency loans. All services will be free of charge.
- VETERANS WHO NEED ASSISTANCE ARE ENCOURAGED TO VISIT THE LOCATION.
- When: Monday, February 29 - March 4, 2016
- 9:00 am - 5 pm
- Where: River Region Chamber of Commerce, 390 Belle Terre Blvd., LaPlace, LA 70068, 985-359-9777
WWL 870 AM or 105.3 FM, ONLINE: www.sjbparish.com, Facebook: St John Parish Government; Twitter: @SJBPgov