Reminder: Protect Yourself From Contractor Fraud
St. John homeowners are reminded to protect themselves from contractor fraud as they rebuild. Remember, it is important to obtain more than one estimate for repairs and to check on the qualifications and credentials of anyone working on your home.
- Hire only Louisiana State Licensed or Registered contractor.
- Verify contractor license/registration at http://www.lslbc.louisiana.gov/findcontractor.asp or call at 1-800-256-1392.
- Get at least 3 local area references and review contractor experience.
- Get at least 3 bids on the work to be performed.
- Take a picture of the contractor and his license plate number. Get as much identifying information as possible.
- Get an original copy of the Contractor's licenses, general liability insurance, and workers’ compensation insurance.
- Agree upon estimated dates of start and completion of the project, a description of the work to be performed, and the total dollar amount to be paid to the contractor upon completion of work.
- Pay only 10% up front. NEVER pay cash.
- Only pay for work completed. Keep a record of all payments.
- Don't make the final payment until you are satisfied with the job.
- Keep a job file of all papers relating to your construction project.
If you feel that you have been the victim of contractor fraud, please contact the St. John District Attorney's Office at (985) 652-9757 immediately. To file a complaint against a contractor, you may also contact the Louisiana State Contractor’s Licensure Board at 1-800-256-1392or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information contractor fraud, visit http://www.lslbc.louisiana.gov/public_education.htm.