Wednesday, October 28, 2015
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH – Due to the recent rainfall and increase of mosquitoes, St. John Mosquito Control will conduct a flyover tonight to aerial spray the Parish and target mosquito larvae in large areas of standing water. Additional ground spraying is also being conducted to help alleviate the spread of mosquitoes.
The flyover is expected to take place from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Residents will be minimally impacted by the spraying but may see the aircraft overhead during this time.
In addition to routine sprays, residents can request additional spraying or spraying for a special event by contacting the St. John Mosquito Control office at 985-536-6530 or through the website at www.mosquitocs.com.
• Drain, flush and discard anything that might collect water, such as potted plants, barbecue grills, gutters, boats and toys, such as tire swings and Frisbees.
• Keep lawn mowed to reduce adult mosquito resting sites.
• Fill in any low spots in your yard that might collect water.
• Flush bird baths at least once a week.
• Replace water in pet bowls often.
• Remove vegetation and debris from drainage ditches.
• Keep pools clean and in operating condition.
• Clean ponds and stock with minnows.
• Repair torn window screens.
• Turn boats upside down.
• Use insect repellent and cover up at dawn and dusk – when mosquitoes are most active.