Wednesday, May 20, 2015
St. John the Baptist Parish will participate in Louisiana’s annual Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday on Saturday, May 30 beginning at 12:01 a.m. and conclude at 11:50 p.m. Sunday, May 31 by exempting the 5% local sales tax in addition to the state’s 4% sales tax on the first $1,500 of the sales price of the following items:
• portable self-powered light source;
• portable self-powered radio, two-way radio, or weather band radio;
• tarpaulin or other flexible waterproof sheeting;
• any ground anchor system or tie-down kit;
• any gas or diesel fuel tank;
• any package of AAA-cell, AA-cell, C-cell, D-cell, 6-volt, or 9-volt batteries, excluding automobile and boat batteries;
• any cellular phone battery and any cellular phone charger;
• any non-electric food storage cooler;
• any portable generator used to provide light or communications or preserve food in the event of a power outage;
• any "storm shutter device", as defined in the Act;
• any carbon monoxide detector; and
• any blue ice product.
For a full list of conditions related to this weekend’s sales tax holiday, please visit the Louisiana Department of Revenue.
The following activities will be eligible during the two days of the sales tax holiday:
• buying and accepting delivery of eligible hurricane-preparedness items or supplies;
• placing eligible items or supplies on layaway;
• making final payment on and withdrawing eligible items or supplies previously placed on layaway; or
• ordering an eligible item for immediate delivery, even if delivery must be delayed, provided that the customer has not requested delayed shipment.
Retailers should report exempt sales on Line 24 of the Sales Tax Return (R-1029).