St. John The Baptist Parish News Release

Projects, Programs and Contracts Approved by Council

Projects, Programs and Contracts Approved by Council

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

As the year ends, 2015 annual contracts were awarded, as well as contracts for Title and Legal Services for CDBG Housing Programs and construction of Phases I & II of a multi-million dollar Sewer Lift Station Project. “Finalizing annual contracts prior to the end of the year is important for continuity of services,” said Parish President Robottom. She added, "Having contracts in place for routine purchases improves efficiencies and saves money."

Based on results of the bid process, the Council approved contracts for culverts, water and sewer fittings, and bunker gear for firefighters. Title and Legal Services related to the CDBG Housing Programs were awarded to Bayou Title Incorporated of Gretna and Team Title, LLC of Covington. Team Title, LLC will manage applications in the Homeowner Rehabilitation Program for an amount not to exceed $73,918.85, and Bayou Title Inc. will manage applications for the Housing Elevation Program, the Homebuyer Assistance Program, and the Small Rental Rehabilitation Program in an amount not to exceed $78,451.66. Both firms will perform legal and title services for up to 300 applicants for CDBG Housing Programs.

A project to repair twelve lift stations which received electrical and mechanical damage during Hurricane Isaac was awarded to Fleming Construction, LLC of Kenner in the amount of $2.8 million. Phase I of the project will include six lift stations in the amount of $1.7 million and Phase II of the project will include the remaining six lift stations in the amount of $1.1 million. Overall the project will consist of replacing twenty-four self-priming pumps and motors with twenty-four submersible pumps. Electrical components will be removed from underground locations and relocated to above ground locations to prevent future flooding. FEMA will cover 75% of the project cost and St. John the Baptist Parish will cover the remaining 25% through the 2010 Bond Issue.

In other business, Parish President Robottom asked the Council to approve a Resolution urging Congress to exclude man-made ditches from the definition of “Waters of the U.S.” in the Clean Water Act. The resolution will impact parish owned and maintained public safety infrastructure such as roadside ditches and flood control channels. The definitional change would also have a negative impact upon every existing Clean Water Act program.