St. John The Baptist Parish News Release

2014 Bond Issue and Grants to Fund Capital Projects

2014 Bond Issue and Grants to Fund Capital Projects

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Parish President Natalie Robottom presented a number of projects to the Council for approval at last night's meeting that will be funded through the 2014 Bond Issue. The Council approved advertisements for drainage equipment and awards for Architectural/Engineering contracts for four projects.

Meyer Engineering, Inc. was awarded a contract in the amount of $64,011.44 for engineering services for Phase II of the Timbermill Trail in Garyville. Phase I of the project included permitting and coordination of funding agreements, while Phase II consists of final design of the trail from Airline Hwy. to River Road. Design, bidding, and construction of the project are expected to be completed by December of 2015, contingent upon permit and design approvals.

A contract in an amount not to exceed $17,325 for renovations to the Joel McTopy Council Chambers was awarded to Murray Architects, Inc. Technical and aesthetic improvements will address seating, sound, videography, and IT. Once the design is completed, specifications for construction of the project will be advertised for bids.

A final contract was awarded to Siezler, Thompson, Brown Architects in the amount of $97,798 for design of a self-contained safe room. This room will provide a secure location to support recovery operations and house Parish employees and critical staff during and immediately following an emergency event. The 4,000 square foot facility at an estimated cost of $914,000 will complement the existing Emergency Operations Center and is partially funded by a Hazard Mitigation Grant. FEMA will cover 75% of the total project cost and the Parish will cover the remaining 25%. The value of the land is included in the Parish’s match.

The Council also authorized a contract with Buchart Horn, Inc. in the amount of $20,385.00 for construction administration of the intersection improvements they designed for Hemlock St. and US 61. This is a joint project with the Department of Transportation and Development and will ensure the project is built to the specifications, and assist with management of traffic flow and communications with motorists. More information will be released by DOTD and the Parish as the project progresses, but construction is expected to begin mid-year in 2015.

In other action, the Council approved the addition of a new position to the Civil Service Pay Scale. The HVAC Technician position is included in the 2014 budget and was previously approved by the Civil Service Board, as recommended by Administration.

###
 


Twitter