Friday, October 4, 2013 – 2:30 p.m.
As of 2:00 p.m., no significant changes have occurred as Tropical Storm Karen continues its path North West moving at 9 mph with the heaviest rainfall expected tonight and Saturday. Wind speeds of 25 to 35 mph will be expected for the St. John area. Approximately 1 to 3 feet of storm surge is estimated for Lake Pontchartrain which will cause street flooding at Hwy 51 and could impact up to Huddle House. Impacts expected for the West Bank and Pleasure Bend include heavy rainfall and winds. Although not expected, tornadoes cannot be ruled out.
A voluntary evacuation has been issued for areas North of I-10 to Manchac. Residents in low-lying areas are encouraged to move vehicles to higher ground. Please call the St. John Parish Emergency Operations Center (EOC) at 985-652-2222.
All St. John Parish residents are encouraged to finalize emergency plans and make preparations for unfavorable conditions such a power outages, possible street flooding, and possible downed trees and trees limbs during the storm. Residents are asked to assist in removing loose debris and trash in catch basins to assist in preventing blockage in parish drainage systems.
• No roads closed
• High water on the Hwy 51 at Ruddock.
• For more information about state highways closures- www.511la.org or dial 5-1-1.
• No outages reported
• Report outages at 1-800-9OUTAGE or http://viewoutage.enterg.com/la.aspx.
• Normal operations today. Normal Saturday collection will begin at 3:00 a.m.
• Garbage concerns can be forwarded to 651-536-2750.
• Vegetative debris can be delivered to the incinerator located on Airport Road in Reserve through Saturday, October 5, 2013.
• Sandbag locations will remain open.
o Belle Terre Land (front of Foxwood Subdivision) - LaPlace
o St. John Community Center - LaPlace
o 425 Captain Bourgeois (pre-filled sandbags for elderly & disabled only)
o Fire Station #94 - Pleasure Bend
o Fire Station #62 on Railroad Avenue - Reserve
o Airport Road - Reserve
o Fire Station #71 on Historic West St. - Garyville
o Old Second Ward High School - Edgard
• Please stay tuned to local weather stations, sjbparish.com, St. John Government Access Channel, Facebook and twitter for updated information.
• Residents can also dial 2-1-1 for state emergency information.
• Call the St. John Parish EOC for questions between 8:00 and 4:30 p.m. today. Dial 9-1-1 after hours to report concerns.