St. John the Baptist Parish has been allocated $1,032,724.00 in Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding. The Minor Repair Housing Mitigation Program will provide minor repairs to approximately 60 homes in St. John Parish that were devastated by Hurricanes Gustav and Ike. These owners-occupied households (no mobile homes or trailers) will receive assistance with roof replacement and minor repairs that include exterior damages to window panes, doorways and emergency conditions which pose a threat to the health and safety of the residents. The purpose of the minor repair program is to assist Low to Moderate Income (LMI) homeowners who may not be able to afford to repair damage caused by the Hurricanes Gustav/ Ike.
The Health and Human Services Department will begin accepting applications Monday, May 2, 2011 online and at two locations, listed below:
1. New Wine Ministries
1921 West Airline Highway
LaPlace, LA 70068
Times: Monday and Friday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
2. West Bank Community Center
173 East 3rd Street
Edgard, LA 70049
Times: Tuesday: 9:00am-3:00pm
Emergency Repair and Minor Repair housing services will be available if all of the following criteria are met. If all of the criteria is not met, the application will not be complete.
1. Single family units are located within the boundaries of St. John the Baptist Parish.
2. Owner-occupants use the home as their principal residence and own the home and the land on which it sits.
3. Occupants earn 80% or less of the median income for the AMI (Area Median Income) and meet the priorities adopted by the Parish.
4. All property taxes and mortgage payments are current.
5. The applicant meets an income and assets review to determine income eligibility according to the requirements of the funding source, i.e. CDBG.
6. The home can be repaired and is not determined by the project inspector to be in such a state of deterioration that it is recommended for demolition.
7. The dwelling is not a mobile home/trailer or type of unit considered temporary. Out buildings that are detached from the single-family home will not be repaired.
Please download the application to complete and turn in to one of the applications sites listed above.